Are you, your family or your work colleagues at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning? Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas which is produced when natural gas doesn’t completely burn. The most usual explanations for it being emitted in a property are that a gas appliance is faulty, hasn’t been installed correctly in the first instance or hasn’t been serviced regularly or correctly. If inhaled in sufficient quantities, it can cause debilitating carbon monoxide poisoning, and, in extreme cases, death. We are an experienced gas fitting and plumbing company that provides a complete carbon monoxide testing service for Melbourne properties.
When should I request CO testing?
The short answer is that if you have any doubts about the integrity of your gas appliances, you should request a test. Specific circumstances where we recommend CO testing include:
- If you have moved into a fresh property with existing gas appliances.
- If you live in a property where there are older gas appliances.
- Appliances which develop soot, or which have a darker stain indicative of soot above them.
- If you know that your gas appliances haven’t been serviced in a while.
- If a gas appliance doesn’t appear to be working properly.
- Gas fires which have a weak flame which appears yellow or yellow/orange.
- Pilot lights in heaters which require re-ignition.
- More condensation than usual, with no other obvious explanation.
- You start to experience any of the symptoms of CO poisoning. For smaller leaks, these may resemble the symptoms of a hangover: headaches; dizziness; or nausea can all be symptoms of CO poisoning. More extreme symptoms include: feeling breathless; losing consciousness; death. If you experience any of these symptoms regularly, particularly if they only occur when you spend time in close proximity to a gas appliance, a CO test is a sensible precaution.
CO testing and subsequent follow-up
We offer a complete home testing and diagnostic service for carbon monoxide. Not only can we tell you whether any of your appliances are emitting carbon monoxide in dangerous amounts, but we are also able to fix them so that they are safe to use. In cases where an appliance is in an advanced state of deterioration and can’t be successfully repaired, we can assist in the procurement and installation of a fresh option. Fully licensed and insured, we are able to work with appliances of all shapes and sizes, ensuring they are safe to operate in your home or business premises.
Carbon monoxide alarm installation
An essential for rented or commercial properties, carbon monoxide alarms are also a good investment for private homeowners. Relatively cheap to purchase and fit, they are designed to alert building occupants to the presence of carbon monoxide, way before it reaches levels likely to cause harm. We are able to supply and fit carbon monoxide alarms, making sure they’re in the correct locations for optimal coverage of your interior space. Get in touch to find out more about reducing the risk which carbon monoxide can pose.