One of the most common and infuriating problems one encounters in the home is a blocked drain. If not dealt with right away, it can cause water leaks and damage your home and property.
Blocked drain signs
- Foul smell
- Overflowing pipes
- Gurgling sounds
- Slow drainage
Common causes of blocked drains
- Tree roots
- Cooking oil
- Foreign objects
- Scraps of food
- Build-up of minerals
- Cat litter
DIY Tips for clearing blocked drains (though a plumber is the best option)
- Boiling water: For blocked drains, pour a pot of boiling water in the drain. In most cases, this will dissolve and loosen the blockage without you having to call in a plumber near me. This method works with ceramic and metal pipes, not PVC.
- A natural cleaner: When faced with blocked drains in Melbourne, you can try a DIY cleaner of drains with white vinegar and baking soda. First, pour the baking soda into the drain and follow it up with vinegar. The mixture may bubble out of the pipe, so cover it. Oxygen is produced in this reaction which cleans out the insides of the pipe.
- Caustic cleaner: Visit your local hardware store for a caustic drain cleaner to dissolve common blockages like food, grease, and hair. These cleaners are bad for the environment, so use them very sparingly. With a blocked toilet, caustic cleaners achieve good results, but make sure to use gloves and a mask when using it. Later, flush the toilet a couple of times to get rid of any lingering chemicals.
- Plunger: Plungers are very good for clearing blocked drains. The up-down motion of the plunger will loosen blockages, getting your pipe back to normal. However, you have to remember that plungers are not effective for mineral deposits or grease deposits.
- Hydro-Jet: This is one of the most effective ways to clear a blocked drain. The powerful water stream from hydro-jet forces the blockage to move out of the pipe, but not solid blockages. It is in your best interests to hire a plumber for this method of drain blockage clearing.
All the above methods are effective in their ways in which they clear blocks in drains. For the best results, look for a plumber near me to help you out with blocked drains.